The Belgrade Lakes Watershed Education Initiative is a lake and watershed science environmental education program kickstarted in summer 2015. The goal of this initiative is to transform students’ watersheds into a classroom, thereby forming meaningful connections with watershed health and their lives out of school. We believe that watershed science can be taught in all subjects and through this effort, we will foster the next generation of stewards of the Belgrade Lakes watershed.
BRCA is currently partnered with:
-Messalonskee High School
-Messalonskee Middle School
-Mt. Blue High School
-the Kents Hill School
-Maine Lakes Society
Follow along with area high school students as they investigate water quality in the Belgrade Lakes watershed!
Messalonskee High School’s Limnology Seminar
- Water QualityFrom September 27 to October 6, Mr. Podey’s limnology class learned about water quality. From experiments to outdoor activities and lab’s, the whole class had a great experience. One lab in particular called, “Water Filter lab,” was probably the best thing we did. Mr. Podey created a poisonous concoction of nasty water. Our objective was … More Water Quality
- MacroinvertebratesIn Lake Limnology, our class made Macroinvertebrate samplers, best known as the Hester-Dendy Collection plates. Each individual student made a sampler and put it in different locations to see if we could get different results. At the time when making these we had to find water. Well the problem was, the little streams around Messalonskee … More Macroinvertebrates
- Stream FormationIn Limnology with Mr. Podey and Mr. Leahey we observed the ways streams form on a table that shows it with accurate results. The table shows basic principles of river behavior, subtle channel morphology, and sediment transport processes. One of the principles we saw were that water bodies with current usually act as tributaries. This … More Stream Formation
Kents Hill School Environmental Studies
- Aquatic Invasive Plant Investigation: Eurasian Water MilfoilCheck out Jaxon's investigation into Eurasian Milfoil! … More Aquatic Invasive Plant Investigation: Eurasian Water Milfoil
- Aquatic Invasive Plant Investigation: Variable Leaf MilfoilCheck out Sam's investigation into Variable Leaf Milfoil! … More Aquatic Invasive Plant Investigation: Variable Leaf Milfoil
- Aquatic Invasive Plant Investigation: Water ChestnutCheck out Annie's investigation into Water Chestnut! … More Aquatic Invasive Plant Investigation: Water Chestnut
Maine Watershed Education Collaborative
BRCA believes that all Maine students, not just those in the Belgrade Lakes watershed, are entitled to the same hands-on watershed science learning experience. In early 2016, BRCA partnered with Friends of the Cobbossee Watershed and 30 Mile River Watershed Association to begin the formation of the Maine Watershed Education Collaborative. Together, our 3 watershed associations cover almost 500 mi2 contiguous land, 29 towns and 12 school districts.
Currently, Maine freshwater education programs work in isolation, resulting in inefficiencies and lack of sharing of best practices. As the Maine Watershed Education Collaborative, we are working together to solve this problem by consolidating our separate watershed science curricula, aligning to Maine Learning Objectives and Next Generation Science Standards. This collaborative will not end with our three organizations, but will expand statewide to many more organizations who deliver watershed education to Maine students.
For more information, contact our Education & Outreach Coordinator: